About   |   Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In   |   Become a Member of MHAUS
Community Search

Live Q&A with MH Expert, Dr. Joe Tobin

Find us on Social Media

Faces of MH
Group HomeGroup Home Blog Home Group Blogs
Search all posts for:   


View all (42) posts »

Marie Versaci

Posted By Administration, Thursday, July 30, 2020


Marie's Story....

My story is a hard one to tell because one minute I was okay, and the next minute I wasn’t. The nurses called my husband to tell him to get to hospital because something had happened to me. He was told that I had a fever of 105 degrees and my kidneys had failed and I was aspirating. My doctor and husband sat down with a few other doctors to see if they would take my case. Those doctors said no but eventually they finally found some that would.

I don’t remember anything about this incident. When I first woke up, I thought it was still December 5th, 2001. However, it was actually February 2002. I looked at myself and panicked because I was hooked up to machines all over my body. I also had a trachea and couldn’t talk and had no clue what was going on. The doctors ended up having to put me in a coma because my body would start crashing. I never knew what time of day it was and had them call my husband to come at all hours of the day and night. I couldn’t even remember who anyone was. I was told it was due to the coma and the medications I was on.

One day I was awake and it was scary because I was still hooked up. My doctor and husband told me what had happened but I didn’t understand. I was constantly being taken for tests to learn how to swallow again, therapy to learn to walk again, and to replace ports for dialysis. When I got my trachea out and talk box put in, it was weird. Nurses were coming in all the time checking this and that but I still was medicated to keep my body from reacting to the things going on. The doctors gave my husband permission to bring in my dog. When she came in, I finally felt so loved. We both cried.
I went home in February but it was hard. I had dialysis 3 times a week and a nurse to come clean my wound where I had my surgery done. Unfortunately, I had a hematoma that blew open but they wouldn’t do surgery. It had to heal from the inside out. I was depressed and everything scared me. I only left the house for doctor appointments and dialysis.

Over time, things happened and my husband found it hard to deal with a sick wife. But, in 2004 god sent me a granddaughter and she saved me in every way. So, 19 years later, I have had many medical problems and have been hospitalized a lot for different things. The years have been rough but I’m stronger than I thought I could be. God had plans for me. I’d like to write a book but it’s hard when others have to tell you about your life because I have very few memories.

As told my Marie

Views and opinions expressed on this page are only those of the individual telling their story. MHAUS has not clinically vetted the content.

This post has not been tagged.

Share |
Permalink | Comments (0)
Sign In


 [Image:  Join MHAUS today - become a member]